Just-in-time learning – or JIT as it is commonly referred to – is micro-based, video-based learning designed to prepare an employee just prior to their task.
Imagine for example the employee has just been assigned to a job that requires a different skillset. Odds are there’s little to no time for the employee to take a comprehensive course. JIT learning can be the solution to do a sort of quick training for the daunting task the novice employee can face.
JIT learning has gained traction especially when it comes to the preparation of skillsets that can easily be explained in minutes. They’re not intended for deeply specialized tasks, but they’re efficient when it comes to quick tasks or explanations of various processes in the organization.
What a solid JIT training video can do is two-fold:
- it trains for a particular scenario, and
- it shows how to conduct yourself while solving the task
Many people have been writing QR codes off as an over-hyped useless fad. But in combination with JIT training, you have a winning combination.
Actually QR codes could help your business just-in-time learning content. Here’s why:
- Many people own smartphones today
- High-speed mobile internet is getting more and more accessible
- Most smartphones have QR-code scanners built into their cameras
- QR codes are used within popular social media apps used by teens and young adults, like Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, and Instagram, so people are getting to know how they work.
Global industries such as food manufacturing and pharmaceuticals have implemented QR codes on labels and packaging to comply with new regulations. For instance, as part of the Smart label QR Code initiative by the Grocery Manufacturers Association, prominent food companies such as Coca-Cola, Nestle, and Colgate include codes on their packaging to direct consumers to a website with more product information. But actually, you would be able to find technical support training, branding training, or anything else you can add to a video if you link it to a training platform that allows you to find courses with a QR code like uQualio.
Consider applying JIT and QR codes to the following scenario:
- Imagine a new employee at a supermarket that has to operate the cash register.
- On the cash register, there is a QR code with training related to the store's processes and how to operate the register.
- If the employee for instance can not remember how to unregister a wrong item, then he can scan the QR code with his smartphone and come directly to a video that shows him how to correct the mistake.
- The result? A happy new employee that can help himself without waiting for help. Happy colleagues that do not have to explain the same thing over and over again, and not least happy customers because they do not have to wait.
JIT makes it easy are just some of the scenarios where JIT can be applied.
The concept of JIT can truly transform a workforce from good to better ...BEST!
However, it needs to be the right fit for your organization. Planning, strategizing & developing an efficient JIT learning program isn’t just about the right INFORMATION. It’s about TIMING, delivering it the RIGHT WAY.
It must be quick, engaging, and aimed towards the exact objectives & needs of learners.
Al these essential factors ensure your JIT learning program is good and ready to go – the best possible way for your learners to achieve the skills they require.
At uQualio any course, you make comes with a QR code - so if you want people to be able to find your JIT training then it is super easy!
And don’t forget you can always reach out to our customer service if you need help. We always do our very best!.