By Christian Bjerre Nielsen,
Chief Product Officer at uQualio ApS
In this article I explain how we doubled our free trial success rate at uQualio®. Simple analysis coupled with multiarea improvements gave an incredible effect for our customers and us.
At uQualio® we offer potential customers a 14 days free trial. In the free trial period, they can try everything the product has to offer except sending SMS messages and creating public learning courses or marketing campaigns. We want to make it transparent how uQualio® can help the user in reaching their business goals. This is a fair and decent way which is also reflected in our simple and transparent subscription price structure.
We started out with free trials in January 2019. Our expectations were maybe a couple of trials per week, so we were excited seeing that we got closer to a couple of trials per working day! That was great … until we started looking at how the free trial user progressed through the process of publishing a trial course. Very few of the people taking up a free trial made it to the final step – making it available for other users.
In order to see how far a free trial user progresses in the process we define these steps:
If a user reaches step 4 or 5, we count the trial as a success.
The numbers we saw in early April after about three months can be seen below:
Success rate of 11%? Not hard to guess why our conversion to paying customer was so low.
This caught our attention. We made a little user analysis, we looked critically at the steps in the process and hired an external UX expert to give us feedback on the application and the free trial process. And the comments from the UX expert were not kind when we replayed his video and read his comments…
We decided to address the problems found with the following measures:
We implemented the improvements in the period from the 10th to the 24th of April 2019. Yesterday we did the initial analysis of the month running with the improvements and it has helped!
The success rate is now 24% - more than double of what we had before the update.
In conclusion we can see that a combination of:
helps significantly! The effort is worth it and now we have a much better pipeline of customers through our onboarding process.
Thanks to all on our team for making this happen within a single 2 weeks development sprint.
Next step is to increase the pipeline intake while maintaining or increasing the free trial success rate and increasing our conversion ratio.
Please let me know if you have made similar observations yourself.
All comments and questions are welcome - or try for yourself and let me know how we do.